Huawei's 5G 'will absolutely not be affected' by US blacklist, founder says: ずくなしの冷や水

2019年05月26日

Huawei's 5G 'will absolutely not be affected' by US blacklist, founder says

FARSNEWS2019/5/23
Senators Offer Bipartisan Bill to Help US Firms Remove Huawei Equipment from Networks
TEHRAN (FNA)- A bipartisan group of senators introduced legislation Wednesday to help US firms remove Chinese telecom equipment from companies like Huawei if it's deemed a national security threat.

The legislation would require fifth generation, or 5G, wireless networks be free of equipment or services provided by Chinese telecommunications companies Huawei and ZTE, The Hill reported.

It also would establish a “supply chain trust fund” program to help US firms remove Huawei equipment from their networks.

The measure would require the establishment of an “interagency program”, led by the Department of Homeland Security, to share information with communications companies on risks and vulnerabilities of networks.

The bill was introduced by Senate Commerce Committee Chairman Roger Wicker (R-Miss.), Senate Intelligence Committee ranking member Mark Warner (D-Va.) and Sen. Tom Cotton (R-Ark.), with Sens. Ed Markey (D-Mass.) and Dan Sullivan (R-Alaska) as co-sponsors.

Wicker, whose committee has examined 5G security in the recent months, said in a statement that “5G networks need to be robust and secure, and not rely on equipment or services that pose a national security risk”.

Warner cited national security threats from Huawei and ZTE in highlighting the importance of the bill.

“While we’ve made enormous progress in educating the private sector of the dangers these vendors pose, we haven’t put in place policies to help resource-strapped rural carriers address and eliminate those risks,” he said in a statement, adding that “this bill ensures that on a going-forward basis we don’t make the same mistakes in allowing companies subject to extra-judicial directions of a foreign adversary to infiltrate our nation’s communications networks.”

The bill is the latest piece of legislation introduced to secure 5G networks from potential Chinese threats, and comes a day after a bipartisan group of House members introduced a related measure that calls for the creation of a “national strategy” to protect 5G wireless networks from security threats. Rep. Abigail Spanberger (D-Va.) is the bill's the main sponsor.

President Donald Trump last week signed an executive order banning US companies from using telecommunications equipment from any company deemed a national security risk.

The Commerce Department also formally added Huawei to its list of blacklisted trade groups last week, though it issued a temporary license on Monday allowing US companies to have “limited engagements” with Huawei for 90 days.


FARSNEWS2019/5/23
Japan's Panasonic Suspends Transactions with China's Huawei
TEHRAN (FNA)- Japanese consumer electronics company Panasonic announced the suspension of all transactions with Chinese telecommunications giant Huawei in the wake of a decision by Washington to add the company to a list of companies considered as a threat to US national security.

The broadcaster FNN reported on Thursday that the Japanese company had suspended all transactions involving Huawei and 68 companies affiliated with it.

However, on its China website Panasonic stated is was supplying Huawei Technologies Co Ltd normally.

The news comes just a day after two Japanese mobile operators, KDDI and SoftBank, postponed the upcoming launch of Huawei smartphone sales in light of Google banning software updates for devices made by the Chinese telecom giant. Google cut off Huawei's access to updates of its Android operating system on Monday. Another Japanese operator, NTT Docomо, has also stopped accepting pre-orders for Huawei devices.

In mid-May, US President Donald Trump issued an executive order adding Huawei and its 70 affiliates to a trade blacklist, thereby restricting its activity in the country. From now on, US companies will be required to receive permission to do business with the telecom company. As a result, Google suspended its business operations with Huawei, including the transfer of hardware, software and technical services, except those publicly available via open source licensing.

※ mko @trappedsoldier氏の2019/5/24のツイート
5G技術では完敗だから、4Gの世界で世界を支配し続けようとするローテク志向の米シリコンバレー! ファーウェイ制裁に参加する企業・国は、完全に時代から取り残される! ご愁傷さま️ https://twitter.com/gachi_kun/status/1131786372371570688


RT2019/5/21
Huawei's 5G 'will absolutely not be affected' by US blacklist, founder says
Huawei isn't going away just because the US government has tried to ban it from its markets, company founder Ren Zhengfei has said, declaring that the Trump administration "underestimates our strength."

"Huawei's 5G will absolutely not be affected" by the Commerce Department's ban on selling or transferring US technology to the company, Ren told Chinese state media. "In terms of 5G technologies, others won't be able to catch up with Huawei in two or three years."

The 90-day grace period before Huawei is officially blacklisted from doing business with US companies does not have much impact on the company, Ren claimed, adding: "We are ready."

A Huawei spokesperson assured reporters that nothing would change for US residents with Huawei devices, or even those planning to buy a device in the future – possibly because the Chinese firm is already in talks with Google on how to manage the ban.

Huawei has bracing for such a ban after the company watched fellow Chinese telecom ZTE struggle with a similar blacklisting maneuver last year. Unable to do business with US firms and unable to fill the equipment void itself, ZTE closed its doors for four months, throwing itself on the mercy of the US government and reopening its business more than $1 billion poorer. Not so for Huawei: not only has it been developing its own mobile operating system since 2012 to break dependence on Google's Android, but it already makes half the chips used in its devices.

"We cannot be isolated from the world," Ren boasted, adding that while Huawei was at odds with the US government, it was not the enemy of US companies.

While Trump's emergency order last week did not mention China or Huawei by name, it clearly targets both, giving the Secretary of Commerce the right to block any activity posing an "unacceptable risk to the national security of the United States or the security and safety of United States persons." The Commerce Department then moved to blacklist Huawei and 68 related companies from doing business with US firms.

The US has tried to convince its allies that Huawei is an unconscionable security risk, feeding information directly to the Chinese government through backdoors in its equipment. For its part, Huawei has accused the US of discrimination, claiming American telecoms cannot handle competition and pointing out the US' own record of backdooring allies' communications. Washington’s efforts to convince the EU and its member nations to bar Huawei from their 5G networks have failed so far – although Australia has agreed to adopt such a ban.

The battle over Huawei reflects the ongoing trade war between the US and China. Both countries have slapped additional tariffs onto the other's exports after trade talks fell apart earlier this month, and Trump has threatened to dramatically expand the categories of goods taxed this summer.
posted by ZUKUNASHI at 00:24| Comment(0) | 国際・政治
この記事へのコメント
コメントを書く
お名前: [必須入力]

メールアドレス: [必須入力]

ホームページアドレス:

コメント: [必須入力]

※ブログオーナーが承認したコメントのみ表示されます。