Int'l Campaign Formed to Try Saudi Crown Prince for Anti-Human Rights Crimes: ずくなしの冷や水


Int'l Campaign Formed to Try Saudi Crown Prince for Anti-Human Rights Crimes

Int'l Campaign Formed to Try Saudi Crown Prince for Anti-Human Rights Crimes
TEHRAN (FNA)- European lawyers, human rights activists, academics and journalist have launched an international campaign to demand trial of Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman for anti-human rights crimes in Yemen and his country.

The Arabic-language Khaleej Online news website reported on Wednesday that the activists have recently held a meeting in the Hague to form the campaign.

The organizers of the campaign say bin Salman is accused of killing over 6,000 Yemeni children by launching a devastating war against the poor Arab state since 2015.

The international campaign underlines the necessity for rapid prosecution of bin Salman for his crimes which also include threatening and abduction of journalists and representatives of civil organizations.

The campaign has been formed at a time when the Saudi rulers, specially bin Salman, is facing accusations of the brutal murder of prominent journalist Jamal Khashoggi in Istanbul.

More than three weeks after the Saudi writer vanished, the details of his killing are still murky and the cause of his death is unknown. Officials in Riyadh have come up with shaky explanations for Khashoggi's demise; first stressing that he left the consulate alive, and then stating that he was killed accidentally in a fistfight, and finally alleging a "rogue operation" unbeknownst to the Saudi rulers.

Former CIA Director John Brennan said last week that he had "no doubt" that Saudi Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman would have had prior knowledge of any plans to kill Jamal Khashoggi.

Speaking at a live event on Wednesday, Brennan joined the international chorus of condemnation of the murder, Al-Jazeera reported.

"Whether or not [Bin Salman] authorized the dismemberment, the horrific and brutal killing and torture of [Khashoggi] and the reported dismembering of his body, I don't know. But I have no doubt in my mind that MBS was fully aware of what was ultimately going to happen to Jamal Khashoggi and had approved it," he stressed.

Earlier, Brennan stated that the United States government is working with Saudi Arabia to “concoct a story” about the fate of Khashoggi.

Speaking to MSNBC on Wednesday, Brennan said bin Salman and the White House of President Donald Trump knew what happened to Khashoggi.

He also called on the CIA and other US intelligence agencies to hand in their evidence to Congress so that lawmakers could scrutinize the White House over its role in the alleged cover-up.

Analyst: Turkey Withholding Khashoggi Murder Details for Own Political Gains
TEHRAN (FNA)- The controversy surrounding the murder of Saudi dissident journalist Jamal Khashoggi is only a major political game, and Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan is refusing to share the details in the case for his own political gains, said an analyst.

“You have to understand that Erdogan is an opportunist. He is going to milk this for everything it possibly is worth and probably more and that is why he is keeping it close to his chest right now as all the investigations are unfolding. He is ratcheting up the pressure on Saudi Arabia to come out clean but he is not releasing this because he knows he can actually get a lot more out of this … Erdogan is not letting the heat go down until he gets what he wants and so this is a big political game that is being played right now in front of us … and until this investigation doesn’t open up to the international arena, it is still going to be a guessing game for a long time,” Riaz Karim, director of Veritas Center for Strategic Studies told Press TV in an interview on Wednesday.

“I don’t think this time the world is going to let them [the Saudis] go so easily even though the propaganda machine right now is turning the fact that these were rogue elements and the prince [Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman] did not have any idea what was happening. But the question is how can the prince not know what is going on in his embassy? How is that possible?” he exclaimed.

Two Saudi Sisters Found Dead in River, Duct-Taped Together, US Police Have Few Answers
TEHRAN (FNA)- Bodies of two Saudi sisters that had recently requested for asylum in the US were found duct-tape together near New York's Hudson River.

New York Times reported that a person strolling through Riverside Park last Wednesday afternoon spotted something jarring on the riverbank and called the police.

There, below a small pier that juts out from the park at 68th Street, lay the bodies of two young women, bound together by duct tape at their waists and ankles. They had not been in the water long, the police said.

Clad in similar black leggings and black jackets with fur trim, their bodies bore no obvious signs of trauma.

The police initially had trouble identifying the young women. Hints that they might be related surfaced a day after they were found when police sketches revealed striking similarities: the same curly dark hair, the same build, the same skin tone.

By Friday, detectives had learned the women were sisters from Saudi Arabia who lived in Fairfax, Va.

Rotana Farea was 22; Tala Farea was 16. They had a history of going missing, and they had recently requested asylum in the United States, the police said.

But beyond that, the circumstances of their deaths have remained a mystery. Investigators have struggled to piece together how two young women from a city more than 250 miles away turned up along Manhattan’s Hudson River shoreline.

The police are investigating the possibility that the sisters may have carried out a suicide pact, taping themselves together and throwing themselves in the river. But detectives have not ruled out murder. The medical examiner’s office has yet to determine the cause of death. No one has claimed the bodies.

“We do not know that a crime took place,” Dermot F. Shea, the chief of detectives, said on Thursday. “We have a terrible tragedy for sure.”

At first, the police theorized the women might have leapt from the George Washington Bridge. People who jump from the bridge often end up in Riverside Park. But the women’s bodies would have had signs of trauma after falling from that height, investigators said. Plus they would have had to have jumped during the day, and a motorist would likely have seen them.

“We are currently looking for what might have been their entry point into the water,” one law-enforcement official said, speaking on the condition of anonymity to discuss an open investigation. “We are checking both sides of the river.”

It remains unclear where the sisters were staying before they died. The Fairfax County police declined to provide any information about the sisters’ lives in Virginia, citing a law prohibiting sharing any information that would help identify a crime victim under the age of 18.

The Consulate General is following closely with local authorities the investigation of the two Saudi citizens found in the Hudson river.

The Arab News, an English paper in Saudi Arabia, reported that Rotana Farea had been living in New York, while her mother and younger sister remained in Virginia. The mother had reported Tala missing two months ago, the newspaper said, but then called off the search when she discovered the girl was visiting her older sister. The sisters were in contact with their mother until about a week ago, the Arab News said.

But the police in New York said the mother, whom they did not identify, also reported her daughters missing last year. When the local police located the sisters, they asked for protection and were placed in a shelter, the police said.

Earlier this year, Rotana Farea was living in a fifth-floor apartment in a luxury complex on the edge of an outdoor mall in Fairfax Corner, Va., a suburban neighborhood about a 30-minute drive from Washington, a leasing agent there said. Ms. Farea moved out in July.

In late August, Tala Farea was again reported missing to the Fairfax County authorities, who distributed a missing-person poster online. The poster said she might be with her sister Rotana. In October, someone again reported the sisters missing in Virginia, the police in New York said.

The mother also received a call from the Saudi Arabian Embassy in Washington, informing her that her daughters had applied for asylum, the police said.

Saudi Arabia Denies Involvement in Death of Sisters in US
TEHRAN (FNA)- Riyadh denied any involvement in the death of two Saudi sisters studying in the United States, according to a spokesperson for the kingdom's embassy in Washington, DC.

The two young women, identified as Rotana Farea, 22, and her sister Tala, 16, were found on the banks of the Hudson River on October 24 with no visible signs of trauma. The women were dressed all in black and bound together at the ankles and waist by duct tape, Al-Jazeera reported.

According to local media reports, the sisters' mother told US detectives that she had received a phone call from the Saudi embassy in Washington ordering the family to leave the United States.

The sisters had reportedly applied for political asylum in the US.

However, the Saudi embassy spokesperson denied the women were ordered to come back to Saudi Arabia.

"Reports that we ordered anyone related to the Saudi sisters to leave the US for seeking asylum are absolutely false," Fatimah Baeshen said on Twitter on Saturday, adding that "details are still under investigation and will be shared in due course".

The sisters had a history of running away from their family's home in Virginia where they had not lived since the end of 2017.

Investigators said they had not determined the circumstances surrounding their fate, but were "puzzled" as to how they came to be found dead on a riverbank more than 400km from their family's home.

They had been placed in a shelter but left Fairfax County in August and set out for New York.

They stayed in several different upscale hotels in the city and maxed out a credit card, according to an New York Police Department (NYPD) spokesman quoted by US media.

A witness reportedly saw the two girls early on October 24 on a playground near the Hudson, where they appeared to be praying.

The NYPD announced that the two sisters were alive when they entered the river that separates New York from New Jersey.

On Friday, the police said they had no evidence indicating that two sisters had been killed.

"There is nothing pointing to a crime as of yet," an NYPD spokesperson stated, adding that "it is still very much a live investigation" without providing details of any probable cause of death.

Suicide is among the hypotheses as to the cause of their deaths.

The case has received considerable media exposure in the aftermath of the killing of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi at Saudi Arabia's consulate in Istanbul.

The New York Police Department sent a detective to Virginia to learn more about the sisters.

Chief of detectives Dermot Shea added that they were interested in finding out what happened since they were reported missing, and what led them to New York City.

"We are looking at all clues in their past life," Shea was quoted as saying.
posted by ZUKUNASHI at 22:00| Comment(0) | 国際・政治
お名前: [必須入力]

メールアドレス: [必須入力]


コメント: [必須入力]